Monday, January 16, 2012

But officer, it isn't mine...

It's always an adventure traveling with my daughter for her numerous competitions and it's a wonderful way to see new places and meet new people.  This weekend was no exception. It started with the flight.  Anxious, excited and leaving on time, we began our slow crawl to the runway when the pilot announced we were turning around due to "mechanical" issues.  Not exactly a great way to start a trip.  The nervous energy filled the cabin and Catherine gave me those big eyes, I'm scared look.  I laughed and said, "nothing to worry about" as my heart raced and a panic attack began to build.  45 minutes later and some extra fuel, they basically said they had to reboot the plane. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.  I chose laughter and off we went. 

The hotel was nice, the girls were happy to be together and off the Moms went for a much needed lunch and get together.  I decided to put my wallet and passports in the safe in the room.  After all, that's what the safe is for.  When I returned to retrieve my wallet the safe wouldn't open.  I called for help, no one showed.  I had some cash so off I went again.  6 hours later, Front Desk, Security, no one showed.  9 hours later, I was pissed.  While the team meeting for Catherine's competition was taking place, four men entered my room and with power tools in hand, basically drilled the door off the safe.  Left a mess, a vacuum and apparently a drill bit.  My wallet was saved! 

My new friend Adrienne and I had a great laugh and we were optimistic about our flying home together.  Once at the airport, we casually strolled through security when I was stopped by a very serious Screen Checker.  He asked if he could go through my purse.  "Of course" I said, praying I didn't throw some nail clippers in there.  Sternly he pulled out a 6 inch drill bit and stated, "Ma'am, does this belong to you?" I said, "I have no idea what the hell that is."  He said, "It's a drill bit Ma'am and you are not allowed to fly with a drill bit."  "A drill bit...ohhhhhh, well you see they had to break into my safe and it must have fallen into my bag." Mr. Serious no sense of humor, stated, "this conversation is getting worse and worse.  Does this belong to you Ma'am and do I have permission to discard it."  I didn't care what he did as long as the words, you are under arrest weren't said.  Another officer who witnessed the entire event and was laughing, asked if we were traveling to another airport so he could call ahead to warn them of our arrival.  Ha, ha... I'm thinking SLAMMER and he's joking. 

Flight was fast and easy and it is so great to be home.  It's great to be able to share this too because you can't make this crap up.  Most importantly, it's another lesson in patience, optimism, and knowing, all will work out. 

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It is already tomorrow in Australia."~Charles Schulz


Yippie,
Jordan


1 comment:

  1. Great story Jordan! Your right, you cannot make up this kind of stuff!! I have lots of airport stories when I used to work with my kids from Unity. Matter of fact on one trip the airline we were flying home on went bankrupt... and the rest of the story, you could not make up!!

    ReplyDelete